1 lb. (500g) pork spare ribs
1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
3 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp. rice wine
2 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying
3 fennel seeds
2 1/2 tbsp white sugar
5 tsp. rice vinegar
1/4 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/2 oz (15g) scallions , chopped
1. Wash the spareribs and chop into 1 1/4-inch-long (33mm) pieces
2. Soak in cold water to cover for 5 minutes.
3. Remove, drain, and marinate in a little soy sauce for 15 minutes.
4. Drain and pat dry well, rub with white sugar, and set aside.
5. Heat the oil in a work to about 350F(175C), or until a piece of scallion green or ginger sizzles and moves around quickly when tossed into the oil.
6. Add the spare ribs and deep-fry until golden brown.
7. Remove, drain, and set aside.
8. Pour the oil out of the wok, leaving only enough to cover the bottom.
9. Reheat the wok and add the scallions, ginger, and spare ribs.
10. Add the rice wine, fennel seeds, brown sugar, vinegar and salt and the remaining soy sauce.
11. Stir-fry for 30 seconds.
12. Turn the heat down to low and simmer until the sauce thickens and the meat falls from the bones.
13. Remove and serve